I hate your weed, your pot, and any other names you call it

I hate it. I hate everything it represents. I hate the smells it comes with. I hate how much it changes people. Most of all, I hate how people think it's no big deal. So, to all you pot zombies out there, this one's for you. To all the family and friends (that I currently know of) smoking pot, it sickens me that I know the strength each of you hold and yet you consistently choose to be weaken by such a nasty, mind-melting habit. Save the excuses, too. I've heard them all. Don't try and defend your actions either. You can't. It seems everybody has some kind of excuse as to why they smoke or use marijuana, with self medicating and recreation among the most common. I plan to address each excuse individually. Another thing most users do is try and defend their usage with non-facts and half-assed explanations. These, I also plan to address.



"REASONS" WHY PEOPLE USE AND WHY I THINK THOSE REASONS ARE CRAP:

"It relieves stress!" - So does yoga, reading a good book, and being around people you love. To hell with your stress. You have no more than anybody else does. Having a tough day at work isn't stressful. Not being able to walk because your legs got blown off in the Middle East is stressful. Grow up. Deal with it. Figure out a positive way to blow off some steam.

"It's the only thing that helps me sleep!" - So does sleeping medication. That's why they make it. Go to the doctors and see what they think instead of sucking on the dirty end of a rolling paper every night. Preparing all that junk only wakes you up even more.

"It's the only thing my friends are into doing!" - Find some new friends. All your friends that are currently smoking pot will change for the worse. Pretty soon, you won't want to hang out with them anyway. People just change from it and anybody that disagrees must not have been on the other end of the stick. I can't count how many friends I've distanced myself from because they got into pot and changed and I didn't. It sucks. Sober up and think about it.

"I do it because I want to rebel!" - That couldn't be furthest from the truth, you prick. The most cool and in thing right now is doing drugs and getting messed up with your friends. It has nearly become the largest part of current day popular culture! If you smoke pot, you're cool. You're definitely not a rebel, though, because everyone else is doing it! You want to be a rebel? Don't smoke pot. Go against the grain. That's punk rock.

"It's fun!" - You're pathetic. If smoking pot or being high is the only way you know how to enjoy yourself, you're an addict. Plain and simple. Pot replaces so much in your life. Not being able to have fun without it is probably the final step off the edge of no return.

"It's the only way I can escape my problems!" - Escaping your problems only strengthens them. Grow up and face your problems like people do every day. If you really feel like whatever you're dealing with is so monumental and unbeatable, seek out some help. Swallow your pride and go to a trusted family member, or even more so, a professional. The longer you hold out and smoke pot to deal with your problems, the more they'll compound.

"It's cheaper than booze!" - Supporting a substance habit is expensive no matter which way you cut it. You're still wasting your hard-earned money. Open your eyes. Put the bong down before you can't pay your rent.

"DEFENSES" USERS TRY AND USE AND WHY I THINK THEY'RE CRAP:

"It's only pot!" - Forget that. That's dumb. Firstly, it's still illegal. You're breaking the law to get screwed up. Secondly, if you're one of the ones that think pot is this harmless little plant and isn't a drug at all, stop reading now. Pot is a gateway drug and that isn't just some lame campaign slogan. Marijuana completely de-evils drugs for people. "Everybody's doing it and is still alive. They also all tried heroin and are still here. Everybody always says how bad it is, just like pot. I doubt it is. I'll try it just once if my buddy brings it over next time we hang out." You might as well just do other drugs if you smoke pot. It's all the same. I've seen potheads turn into heroin addicts, crackheads, and pill poppers more times than you've rolled one up.

"Everyone does it!" - I'm not even going to address this one. You do you, you puppet of social standards

"It's the only drug that isn't addictive!" - The biggest lie people want to believe. If you're willing to give somebody whatever they asked for, for a 'free' baggie of something, you're probably addicted. If you can't go more than a week without even thinking about using, you're probably an addict. If your habit involves you feeling like you need to hide it from certain people, you're probably an addict. If you're in denial, you're probably an addict.

"I only do it because I don't drink!" - So, why smoke pot? If you don't drink, you're obviously able to make some kind of positive choices. If you feel the need to use marijuana because you need to do something, I feel sorry for you.

"I don't have a healthy appetite without smoking!" - Another medical problem, see a doctor. If anything, you're probably making the situation worse.

"I smoke for medicinal purposes!" - Show me your card or your doctor's signature, sir or madam.

"I do it because I want to!" - Then, I don't feel you're progressively adding anything to your character or personality. This tells me you don't value your own health, money, or self respect. There's also something to be said about a lack of maturity on your part.

"I could be doing something worse!" - Then go ahead and do those worse things. You might as well. A drug is a drug. Period. There's no excusing one more than another. They all have health effects. They all have social effects. That's like saying "It's only a kitten! I could be killing a person!" A life is a life. A drug is a drug. Think about that, next time you go to spark one up.

Or maybe I just don't get it. Maybe that's it, because I don't do it and never have, I'm just a square that doesn't understand. That could be it. Another possible explanation could be that I am in tune with what I understand to be real life. As hard as it may be. As much as life sucks, smoking pot doesn't make it better. At the end of the day, you're only making it worse on yourself, financially, morally, and health-wise. But, life is life and we all only get one. Spending it smoking pot is cheating yourself. You're losing valuable friends, memories, and most of all, your true self. Think back to when you were a little kid. Now, imagine handing that kid a blunt. Imagine stripping their innocence and tainting their future. Is that what you stand for? What does your little brother or sister think of you habit? Your mother? Grandparents? Set an example, instead of being a poor excuse. Grow up. Think. Stop being selfish.

Unless you like the pothead stereotype...  If you don't, break it.

- Austin.

READERS NOTE: Usually, I try and refrain from directly targeting people in my writing. I feel it not only cheapens the work, but lessens its maturity level and seriousness. My passion on this matter could not be stressed vocally to readers, so I decided to stress it with my words. With that said, writing is how I cope. Instead of blowing smoke, I type. Lately, I've been dealing with a close family member struggling with marijuana use and going down a path I know he isn't truly meant for. His use confuses me and had me more than fed up. Regardless of my lifestyle choices, being a part of the straightedge culture (and not nearly as vocal as this all the time), it is what it is. I think pot is a filthy trap, set up by  a current American society and culture that is spiraling downward. I just don't want our screwed up society to claim another. 

Comments

  1. What a typical joke coming from someone with a bullshit 'I'm straight edge so I'm better than you' mindset. If you're too scared to step out of your comfort zone to take chances, don't lash or attempt to demean those who actually have the fortitude to take chances.

    There's a reason your joke of a write-up is on Blogspot, where it belongs.

    Seriously question, though. I smoke very seldom--maybe just hanging out with friends? Or whatever my leisure. Where's the category for that?

    One more as a followup, since you mention sleeping medication -- ever considered sleeping medication forces you to sleep, let alone is more addictive, and can easily result in hallucinations, overdose etc due to the diphenhydramine? Guess not, probably because you took your straightedge bullshit and started pissing people off before you bothered to research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In no way have I claimed that I'm better than everybody else. Also, it isn't that I'm scared of anything at all. I just choose not to partake in such behavior. So your claims of demeaning anything is void. If anything, you're demeaning my article by claiming that it is just straightedge jargon. I'm not pushing anything on anybody, just stating an opinion (which is what a blog is for). To address your concerns with the content, if you reread, you'll find that in no way did I state that abusing any sort of substance was "safer" than another. I simply stated that they're all a drug. Plain and simple. If that offends you, I'm sorry. Either way, thanks for reading!

      - Austin.

      Delete
    2. Typical pothead response. Wow keyboard warrior. Your comment-paragraph really shows how not defensive you're being over a substance.. To each their own I guess..

      Delete
  2. Excellent write up, Austin. You voiced my sentiment perfectly in this article. It continues to baffle me how people run how from work or otherwise to vape, bong, alcohol drink, etc. It's almost like they ingrained it in themselves as routine. It's no longer recreation for many, it's like brushing teeth in the morning. Oh, humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Filthy habits must be broken. Smoking or using marijuana for no feasible, positive reason on a daily basis simply baffles me.

      - Austin.

      Delete
  3. There is some things on here I can completely agree with you on and some things I can't. First off, Marijuana is natural, it helps a lot of people and it hurts a lot of people. It's definitely not for everyone, I for one am those people who Marijuana is not for. I have smoked a lot in the past and now stopped because it hindered my ability to want to succeed in life. Does that make it bad? Yes and no, it all depends on the user and their self-control. Marijuana needs to be legal and regulated federally so young kids don't get their hands on it.
    It's a hard subject to come to a real conclusion over because it has its pros and it has its cons.
    If it were up to me I'd make pot illegal and only use it for medical reasons, but that's just me and we know that'll never happen so making it legal in the entire country at this point would help the situation.
    As for alcohol which kills more people a year than pot could ever possibly do is a whole other subject to talk about.
    Sorry for this being all over the place currently working and doing this at the same time. Thanks for posting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to actually read and assess which points you agreed with and those you didn't. Everybody has their own opinion on all things! I respect yours, as you've respected mine.

      - Austin.

      Delete
  4. That's the problem we have these days. Peer pressure. "If you're to scared to get out of your comfort zone" that's bullshit. If someone doesn't want to smoke it's not because they are scared to get outta their comfort zone, it's simply because they don't want to and are making healthy decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. The death of will power and individualism are both great contributors to the strength that peer pressure can come with. Especially for younger kids and that may be the worst part of all.

      - Austin.

      Delete
  5. Your blog is complete bullshit. Not everyone who smokes marijuana goes onto harder things. I am one of those people who can smoke marijuana and leave it alone for years, not be addicted, not go onto pills or heroin etc. Stop grouping people who smoke into one group as we are "all destroying our lives". Yeah you broke down the reasons people smoke, and maybe some are stupid reasons. But nonetheless, I agree with the first comment, you are acting like you are better because you are straight edge. I do not respect you and I do not respect your opinion. You choose not to smoke or drink, good for you. But the people who do it, like myself, and do NOT go onto ANYTHING that is "stronger/addictive" are real and are out there. There is a reason after all. that Colorado has it legal there and so do other states. Do your research before you spew your version of logic, aka garbage out of your mouth. And yes, I do CHOOSE to do it for my specific medical reasons that are frankly none of your business. So with that all in mind,

    Kindly Fuck Off!

    Oh and P.S.- sorry about your family member but maybe if you try relating to them.. oh wait you cant cause you're a stuck up prick...


    You're free to your opinion, and I am free to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm sorry you can't relate and choose not to respect my opinion. Thanks for the read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On-the-go poetry entry #11

On-the-go poetry entry #10