Ten more things you (probably) don't know about me



Man, oh man. It's been awhile since my last list and I've seen and done a whole lot since then. Time to update those who have been around for a minute and introduce pieces of me to those who've only been around for a second. Think you know me? Try these on for size!

Whew. Talk about a can of worms... You sure you signed up for this? Doesn't matter, you're already here. Let us get to it! 

NUMBER 10
Frank Sinatra sits firmly on my everyday playlist
Yeah. A little out of left field here. Way out of my wheelhouse, I'll even admit, but that what makes Frank such a fit for me. I've only really given him a chance in the last handful of years or so, as I have a cousin who is a HEAVY Sinatra fan that helped me open those doors. The class and emotion he puts into his voice is unmatched and you just can't deny the classics. Matter of fact, Luck Be A Lady is one of my favorite songs of all time!


NUMBER 9
I am a rock for those who mean most to me
I take great pride in being someone to bounce life off of. Countless people in my life, past and present, have kind of gravitated to me in times of need. Lending an ear is priceless and any advice I can provide to a friend or family member that may need it is something I take seriously. This is sometimes a sacrifice to myself, though. As giving energy can sometimes leave my batteries kind of drained. But, you can bet I'm capable of keeping a secret, too! 

Need someone? Don't hesitate to reach out! 

NUMBER 8
I wear boxers, but am considering the switch to briefs
Okay, so here this is. Talk about switching gears! After consulting those who would know best, I am considering making the jump to boxer briefs at this point in my mid twenties. Boxers were pretty high school, but I always appreciated the room they provided. I am a fan of compression shorts, but not for everyday wear (of course). 

Boxer briefs seemed to hold everything in and together just a little better. HEY! You wanted to know! Nothing but candid here, folks. 

NUMBER 7
I have a hard time living in the moment
Ah yes, the old selfishness gene rears its ugly head again! Whether it is my career, life path, relationship, friends, financials, or really anything else, I go through phases. As a human being, it can sometimes be hard taking yourself out of the equation and just enjoy and appreciate. Stepping back and living for the here and now is something I constantly struggle with. Not being happy with something now doesn't mean it has to be forever. 

As someone who has always been HYPER focused on the future or where my life is leading, I need to learn to breathe. Think. Feel. Most importantly, be happy with the things I do have. Being overly goal-motivated can sometimes be more of a hinderance, because I tend to let those feelings dictate things moreso than anything else. 

Just got to learn to be okay with letting go and letting life ride out! 

NUMBER 6
Elon Musk is one of my most recent heroes 
After following loosely along with the going ons of Space X and how it has really revolutionized the excitement of space exploration in the United States has totally blown me away the last couple of years. Tesla innovating the market and introducing more and more cutting-edge automobiles at mre and more affordable prices has been so cool to watch come to fruition. At the center of all these developments? The enigma who is Elon Musk. 

I really envy his position as a major entrepreneur and humanitarian in every since. He and his companies have changed the course of history books and continue to write new chapters everyday. Being so close to Kennedy Space Center in Florida has helped me keep tabs on things, too. Only furthering my appreciation and respect for what Elon has helped humans accomplish. 


NUMBER 5
My relationship with my dad has changed me
My father and I were never really close growing up. I was a really hard kid to read for a guy who looked forward to tossing a football with his son or playing catch with a baseball glove in the backyard. I grew up creating worlds with Legos and taking enemies down one at a time with Ninetendo 64's growing game library. Knowledge and creativity replace any "boys will be boys" moments in my childhood. So, dad and I never really connected on anything.

Then, one day, I almost lost him. The finality of death has a unique way of teaching people lessons about who they are and what they actually find important, and I had an elbow's brush of that a few years back. I never took our relationship for granted every again. I made the effort to find what we had in common and build on those things. I stepped up and made the effort and I think it helped save both of us at one point or another.

The worst thing I could imagine now would be to disappoint him. He means so much to me and I truly love and respect him for helping build me into the man I am today. He's my secret weapon of strength. 

And though its unconventional and I have plenty of friends that would jump at the chance, my father will be my best man the day I tie the knot. 

NUMBER 4
My favorite color is orange
Boy, the list is really all over the place this time! I love orange. I like that it's most commonly known as a least-favorite color, it's the underdog of colors! Plus, it's bright and happy. Orange can signify a hazard or a citrus fruit. It's frigging universal! Actually, I tend to pick orange-based sports teams as my "favorites". Football team? The Bengals. Baseball team? The Orioles. You get the point... 

You got an orange game piece? Yeah, I'll be that one. 

NUMBER 3
I'm bizarrely interested in Russian history
Growing up, history was always my go-to subject (right behind English, of course). I loved learning about who and what came before, but I always found Russian history to be so badass and interesting. Czars, royal families, the soviet union, revolution, and modern rise all fascinate me. Marx and the manifesto always made a unique bit of sense to me and I still joke to those who are closest to me that I'm a closet communist (don't get it twisted, I couldn't care less about politics and don't sign with any party past or present).  

Old school russian propaganda in a design and imagery sense is something I've always found interesting too. 

With that said, I'm sure I've just pinged on some government radar. Jokes on them, though. They'll have to help me with my boxers or briefs dilemma before they get to any of the good stuff down here. 

NUMBER 2
I prefer sound on certain numerical volumes
Talk about weird. In my car, on my television, or really anywhere that has a numerical volume control is subject to my unique preferences. 

If the volume isn't on five, ten, eighteen, twenty-two, twenty-five, twenty-eight, or thirty-two, I didn't touch the volume last. Simple. 

Any rhyme or reason for that? Nope. 

NUMBER 1
I've lost over fifty pounds in 2019
In a surprising twist of events, I have been able to chase a lifelong money off my back. Weight is something that I have struggled with my entire life. I could never stick to any diet or workout regimine. I wasn't dedicated enough to myself to make a significant change. 

I remember stepping on the scale in my parents bathroom back home around Christmas time 2018 and saying to myself, 270 lbs. is too much. I wasn't ready to be knocking at the door of 300 lbs. Especially, at the tender height of 5'7". So, I skipped the cliche New Year's promises and started making a serious change in February. Starting February 9th, I counted every calorie that went into my body. With the help of MyFitnessPal, I write to you today weighing in at 218.4 lbs and couldn't be more proud of myself. 

I'd like to be at 180 lbs. said and done, but we'll leave that update for our next list of ten things you (probably) don't know about me!

That's my time and I'm sticking to it. Creative juices have been spilling over lately, so when those times come, it is time to sit down and type away. Such outlets make me, me. 

But, I want to know...

What are ten things that make you, you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I hate your weed, your pot, and any other names you call it

On-the-go poetry entry #11

On-the-go poetry entry #10