Songs that mean more than melodies to me


Music makes the world go 'round, no doubt about that. We all have our favorite genres, artists, and songs. For me, music is the thermostat to moods. If I'm feeling low, I can throw on some of my favorite upbeat songs for a boost, or crank things down with stuff that matches. There's music for everything in life, so seeing as it is so vastly important, I figured I'd share some of my favorite songs and the stories behind them.


"Heart-Shaped Box"
Released in 1993
Nirvana
Kurt Cobain is a music icon, and Nirvana was the perfect peanut butter to his charismatic jelly. I'm not huge on grunge, but I am surly a fan of these guys' stuff. I was looking for a tonal shift by the time high school rolled around and Nirvana was one of the first bands I latched onto. Among my most favorites of all time, was "Heart-Shaped Box" from their In Utero album. High school loves and losses can be a big deal and whenever I found myself in those lows, this one was one of my go-tos. The video is really weird, too. So, I was into that. I don't listen to as much Nirvana as I used to, but I credit them (especially the enigma that was Kurt Cobain) for helping me reshape my character and what I found important in life after middle school. Be you, not who others want you to be. If they don't like that, f*ck 'em. This is a mindset I've stuck to, needless to say.


"Ride Wit Me"
Released in 2001
Nelly
Songs like Nelly's "Ride Wit Me' have never really left me since being younger and hearing it on the radio all the time. Any and every time I hear this one, I turn it up nice and loud, make sure my windows are down, and don't hide the smile it puts on my face. It is very much a ‘feeling good’ song for me, helping to remind me that life isn't so bad after all. It takes me back to growing up in Charlotte, North Carolina when life was simple, the weather was always nice, and I was just having fun. I'm a fan of a lot of Nelly's classics, but this one specifically takes me back. In fact, the entire Country Grammar album this song was packaged on is a gem. AYYYE, MUST BE THE MONAAY! You gotta' love it. Just writing about it makes me want to throw it on. So good.


"Every Rose Has Its Thorn"
Released in 1988
Poison
Switching gears a bit here with this one, I know. Nothing says power ballad like "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", right!? Plus, I have a soft spot for nearly anything eighties, regardless of genre. But, the real reason this one makes my list is because I was a HUGE fan of all the cringeworthy VH1 series that plagued the network in the early and mid two-thousands. Flavor of Love, Rock of Love with Bret Michaels, and For the Love of Ray J had me tuned in, I'm ashamed to admit. Rock of Love with Bret Michaels was greatly horrible television and naturally Poison’s biggest hit was featured quite a bit throughout the show. So, here we are. Not my proudest song-life tie-in, but one I have nonetheless. Plus, who doesn't love a good eighties ballad when feeling in a ‘feelings’ sort of mood!? I'm not the biggest Poison fan by any means, but Glam Rock is a genre to itself and I respect that. This one is a classic that is super popular to this day. It checks out.


"Runaway"
Released in 2010
Kanye West
Much to the chagrin of almost everybody I know and love, I constantly recognize Kanye West as my favorite artist of all time. I have loved his work for as long as I can remember, considering  him as one of the most influential creators in art, music, and pop culture history. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is no doubt his Magnum Opus and sits confidently as one of my favorite albums of all time. As soon as the keys of the piano begin on "Runaway", it isn't hard to wonder why. I relate with a lot of the things Kanye sings about (not only here) and can majorly relate to seeing myself as a person and choices I've made at several points in my life in a negative light. I'm my own biggest critic and struggle with the pressure I put on myself, past and present. That's this song in a nutshell. If I could only be granted three songs to live on from now until the end of time, this is one of the three. This is my mind's anthem, more often than not.

"Luck Be A Lady"
Released in 1963
Frank Sinatra
Though it is technically a cover, I'd say "Luck Be A Lady" encapsules Frank Sinatra more than any other song. His class and cool oozes out of whatever sound system you sport while he sings this swanky song of luck staying on his side for as long as possible while out on the town. My fascination with Sinatra has grown tremendously in the last couple of years, he really has become a huge factor on my playlist. It also helps that I am enchanted by vintage Las Vegas and what the strip used to be. Sinatra adds color to those images of glittering times gone by. Basically, I love Vegas, hence my love for Sinatra. When I'm feeling confident and level-headed, Sinatra is a perfect soundtrack for that mood. The strength and bravado he puts out is contagious, so having ole' blue eyes on my list is crucial. "Luck Be A Lady" is also one of those rare songs I prefer the live version of. Again, charasma goes a long way with me in the artists I prefer. Magnetic presence and a killer voice is a recipe I am very receptive to.

"IFHY"
Released in 2013
Tyler, the Creator
I stumbled upon Tyler, the Creator right before he dropped his WOLF album shortly after my birthday in April of 2013. I had no expectations, as I only found the music video for his "IFHY" on Kanye West's website when it was released. I was hooked immediately and I needed more of this music in my life. So, when the album came out, I ate it up and remember being blown away with how much I found myself latching onto an artist currently active in the industry. Really, Kanye West was the only person I actively followed. So, for Tyler to jump into the mix just like that really surprised me. "IFHY" is a bipolar dream of all that love comes with... Maybe a little obsession, too. The moody melody and aggressiveness is a Tyler staple and is such a sweet and savory snack. This is another song that I'd place in the three for the rest of my life. I can't get enough of its honesty.

"Riders On The Storm"
Released in 1971
The Doors
I knew who Jim Morrison was way before the Doors. I can remember a poster framed on the wall of my parent's friends house and always wondering who the cool looking guy was on it. Maybe God? That was my first impression of Morrison. The hair, bare chest, and necklace in black and white on a bare background was super striking. Fast-forward a handful of years, and Morrison is another one of those figures that have made quite the impact on my life. The misunderstood rock god of peace and love always revealed himself as much more human and real to me. Much like Jim, I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments in life. A poet destined to be a musician spoke to me and the Doors delivered him on a silver platter. "Riders on the Storm" was in many ways Jim's swansong, as it is the final track on the final album, LA Woman released by the Doors, as Jim would be dead only a few months later. The song is haunting and beautiful. Just picking one Doors song to put on this list feels like a crime as I love so much of their stuff but, this one exists on a different plane. The way the sounds of rain and a distant storm roll in gently to begin the track is so frigging cool, really helping transport you to a different place. When any Doors song pops up, I listen and enjoy... Especially the atmospheric love note that is "Riders on the Storm".

"30 Hours"
Released in 2016
Kanye West
If there is one song that I can always just hangout and vibe to, it's Kanye West's "30 Hours" track from his The Life of Pablo album. The whole album is another masterpiece with several bigger hits, but something about this adlib track just mellows me out. It's a song you just put on and drive to. It could be literally be thirty hours long and I'd still listen. The beat mixed with layered vocals comes out silky smooth. I wasn't sold on it at first, as I was more focused on the bigger singles featured on the album, but it has grown on me and then some. I refuse to skip it when it pops up on my iPod (yes, still have one of those). Kanye is the only musician I can depend on to deliver what I need, no matter the mood I'm in. He has a song or three for every mood I'm in at any given time, and I couldn't be more thankful for that. This is why he is my favorite to listen to, despite how you, the reader, or the media view him. He's the only double-feature on this list for a reason.

"All Along the Watchtower"
Released in 1968
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Here another cover pops up in the form of a relatively small Jimi Hendrix Experience tune. I specifically remember the exact place I first heard this song, as I felt myself needed to know what this song was called because it was love at first listen. I was a HUGE Jimi Hendrix fan all throughout middle and high school. At one point, I had a wall-sized poster of Hendrix on my half of the bedroom my brother and I shared. So, while we were all on our way home to Syracuse from visiting family in Charlotte, this song popped up and the rest was history. It was late at night and I can vividly remember lying on my back watching the roadside rock walls of Virginia highway sites passing by the window. As our headlights lit the road head home, this sweeping song played at the perfect volume. My mom was driving and she and I were the only ones awake. Quiet, as to not disturb anybody else in the car. But man, the fact that I can remember the exact moment I heard this song for the first time is crazy. My memory is absolute trash. But this single from Electric Ladyland stuck with me.

"The Rain Song"
Released in 1973
Led Zeppelin
I don't fully trust anybody who doesn't agree on the simple fact that Led Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time. They are The Beatles with balls. Robert Plant is the definition of a front man, and his vocals are absolutely unmatched on the iconic scale. "The Rain Song" is considered by Plant himself as his greatest achievement and I absolutely agree. It is my favorite song of all time and is the one of the three that I could not live without. It is beautiful and vulnerable in a really strong way. It blooms like a spring flower and is loud and quiet all within the same couple of minutes. Houses of the Holy has more popular tracks, but this one hits me so hard. This song can pull you out of darkness, cast you away from the world, or cradle your emotions. I’m always ready to listen to it, without mood in mind. I remember watching The Song Remains the Same in my living room back home late at night. My parents weren't home, so I had the living room to myself for a few hours and was able to watch all the way through this concert/movie experience. The concept floored me from top to bottom and being a high schooler at the time, the Rain Song was all I was looking for. Jimmy Page's guitar work really helps send this one home, as the listener is started off soft, brought up to a rocking pace, and carefully placed down again. I can't say enough about this song or virtually everything else Zeppelin put out. If Kanye is first in my heart of hearts, Led Zeppelin is a close second!

And that does it for some of my favorite tunes. There are handfuls more that I adore, but these ten really jump to the front of my mind. What are some of your go-tos? Share in the comments below and let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I hate your weed, your pot, and any other names you call it

On-the-go poetry entry #11

On-the-go poetry entry #10